A slab leak is a pipe leak in either the cold or hot water lines in a house that occurs under the foundation. These types of leaks can be destructive for homes and enormous wastes of water. They are also tricky to locate and require extensive and specialized work to repair. Professional plumbers know how to deal with slab leaks, however, using advanced technology to both pinpoint the leak’s location and then find a way to remedy it.
But this brings up a good question: if the leak is occurring hidden under the concrete foundation of your house, how will you know there’s a leak in the first place? We have some answers below:
- Odd behavior from the water heater: Approximately 80% of slab leaks occur in the hot water lines. The loss of hot water will cause the water heater to begin to turn on and off at abnormal periods and create a rise in your heating bills. This is often the first warning that there may be a slab leak.
- Increased water bills: Keep a close watch on your monthly water bills, since an increase that you can’t account for is a huge red flag that there’s a hidden leak somewhere in your house.
- Cracking in the basement: The pressure from a slab leak will start to cause damage to the foundation. You may notice cracks along the basement floor, which is something that needs to be looked into immediately.
- Sound of running water: If you can hear running water in the basement when there are no taps on or appliances running, the issue may be a slab leak.
- Test the water meter: Look at your water meter a write down its level. Don’t use any water in your home for the next hour, then check the water meter. If it’s gone up, you have a leak.
Contact Mark Carpenter Plumbing in Clovis, NM when you need slab leak detection and repair services.