The sewer line for your home is buried in a trench underneath your property, which is just where you want it. In general, you want plumbing hidden from sight, and you especially want the sewer line that removes the wastewater from the drains and toilets kept hidden.
There’s one problem with this arrangement, however, which is that it makes it harder for you to recognize that the sewer line is damaged or blocked until it starts to cause serious issues like sewage backing up into your basement or crawlspace. You don’t want to be in that kind of unsanitary and unlivable conditions, and any repairs you may need at that point will be more expensive than they would’ve have been if you caught them early. In some situations, you may only need sewer line cleaning with hydro-jetting to solve the issue.
There are warning signs to watch for that will tell you it’s time to call for professional service for your sewer line in Clovis, NM.
Signs You’ve Got Sewer Line Problems
- Gurgling drains: If there’s blockage in the sewer line or a break that is starting to cause the line to backup, an early indication is gurgling sounds from drains around the house after water goes down them. This sound comes from sewer gas bubbles pushing up through the water. It could be a smaller issue with the drains, but it’s still something that needs looking into.
- Clogged drains and toilets around the house: Have you noticed that clogs are happening more frequently in your home, or that more than one drain or toilet is prone to clogs? Any clog means a problem, but when it happens often or in multiple places, it indicates trouble deeper down in the drainage system—such as in the sewer line.
- Sewage odors: If sewer gas is being forced up through the drains because of backups in the sewer line, it will result in unpleasant odors from the drains.
- Water spots in the basement: If you home has a basement, water spots appearing around the drains down there often means blockage in the sewer line. In general, the lowest drains in a house will be the first ones affected by trouble in the sewer line.
- Soggy spots on the lawn: A sewer pipeline that suffers from breaks will leak sewage that rises to the surface and create damp, foul-smelling patches on the property. So if you notice soggy places on your lawn where you can’t for account of them, call for plumbing assistance right away.
Rely on Professionals to Find Out What Repairs You Need
Keep in mind, the sewer line from the point where it exits your home to where it crosses under the property line is your responsibility when it comes to repairs and other services, not the responsibility of the utility company. Of course, you shouldn’t personally try to do any work on it! You only need to call on skilled plumbers. Our plumbers have the experience and tools to see that you have the right job done, and done right. We use technology like video camera pipe inspection equipment to ensure we do each repair or replacement job accurately and quickly.
When you need a plumber, call a Carpenter! Mark Carpenter Plumbing serves the Clovis, NM area.